You're Invited to the SPICE! Science Open House 2014
Date: September 24, 2014, 6:30-8:30pm
Location: Willamette Hall on the UO Campus
The Science Program to Inspire Creativity and Excellence (SPICE) and UO STEM CORE will hold the 4th annual "Science Open House" September 24, 2014 in the Willamette Hall Atrium (6:30pm-8:30pm) on the University of Oregon (UO) campus. . Check us out on Facebook.
The purpose of the event is to help connect community families and educators to science outreach programs on campus and in the community. All activities are completely free and open to the public. There will be something fun for children of all ages.
Hands-on activities and demonstrations will include the Flubber Factory, the Egg Drop, Lazer Maze, Science Jewelry-making, and much more. Attendees can also sign up for the Science Pentathlon where they will complete five activities in the core science disciplines (biology, chemistry and physics).
Also featuring Lane Ignite which will be presenting a table on the Common Core State Standards and you: "Learn about the Common Core approach to mathematics education from UO experts who are helping out local districts!”
Programs & Presenters (growing daily)
- Fruit DNA Extraction - Science on Demand
- Egg Drop - Science on Demand
- Flubber Factory - Science on Demand
- Vapor Deposition - Center for Sustainable Materials Chemistry
- 3D printing and movies - UO Science Library
- Contraption Maker - Spotkin
- Science on Demand
- Common Core Questions Answered - Lane Ignite
- Fireworks in Milk - UO Science Literacy Program
- UO Women in Graduate Sciences
- Fun with Fossils - Museum of Natural and Cultural History
- Math Puzzles - Academic and Youth Enrichment
- Home Grown Data Science - Flare
- Rod-Climbing Polymer - Tyler Lab
- Eugene Astronomical Society
- Circuit Factory - Nazin Lab
- Rocks & Minerals - UO Geology Club
- Electricity! - Science Factory
- Neurons! - Team Duckling
- Liquid CO2 - Chemistry Demonstrations
- Optical Society of America, Student Chapter - Light and Color
- Project Hatch - Women in Computer Sciences
Parking & Directions
Willamette Hall is on 13th street between Agate & University near the heart of campus. It can be found in grid G7 on the UO Parking Map. Close parking after regular business hours can be found in staff lots 2 & 12 (grid G10 & G9). Additional parking can be found on 15th between Agate and University and long University and Agate between 15th & 18th.
Supporting Science Education in Your Community
The UO Science Open House is presented by the Science Program to Inspire Creativity and Excellence (SPICE) at no cost to participants. SPICE provides low and no-cost science opportunities to children (and adults) in the greater Eugene-Sprinfield area. These opportunities include the UO Science and Invention Fair (for all Lane County students K-12), science summer camps, and events such as the SLUG Queen competition, and the We Are Bethel Celebration.
You can support by donating funds, equipment, and time. For more information about supporting science education for children in your area, please contact the program director, Brandy Todd (541) 346-4313 firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SPICE program is supported by the University of Oregon office of Insitutional Equity and Diversity, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Oregon Cener for Optics and the Symantec Corporation.
(541) 346-4313 or email@example.com