The mission of SPICE is to collaborate in creating a learning environment where girls can thrive in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). This broad goal is achieved by enhancing the science experiences of middle and high school girls, through a set of proven intervention strategies, including:
- Early hands-on research experience
- Role models
- Access to Information and Equipment
- Building a Community of Young Scientists
To increase the number of women participating in the highest levels of STEM careers, particularly the physical sciences.
To increase the number of women attaining advanced degrees in all STEM fields.
To contribute to a scientifically literate society by introducing a new generation of women to scientific inquiry.
The identified causes of women's under-representation in STEM are:
- Early socialization
- Lower self-confidence, particularly in male-dominated fields
- Lower expectations from parents, teachers and others
- Less "tinkering" or hands-on experience
- Exclusive teaching practices in introductory STEM courses
- Lack of critical mass
Giving Girls the freedom to experience the sheer delight of scientific discovery.
Whether it's an impromptu laser light show or an egg hurtling through the air at 9.8m/s2 we believe that science is everywhere. When young women are given the space and support to take chances and immerce themselves in the scientific endeavor, amazing things happen.
Join us in making science happen for girls near you!